Internet Crimes Defense Attorney Rhode Island
Do You Need A Rhode Island Criminal Lawyer for Internet Crimes?
Whatever the type of internet crime you’re on trial for, the consequences can be steep, whether this means $500 or $5,000 in fines. Even with minimal jail time, your reputation is the most expensive asset you’ll have to relinquish.
A criminal record of a computer, cyber, or internet crime, can lead to job loss, or an inability to secure employment or civil benefits.
Don’t allow a false accusation to ruin your life. Network with a lawyer who understands the best legal defenses for your case.
Definition of Internet Crimes
There are several types of Internet Crimes which will be addressed below, as per Rhode Island Code Chapter 11-52. A few common ones include:
- 11-52-2 Access To Computer For Fraudulent Purposes – This can sometimes be used interchangeable with wire and mail fraud. It’s in instances where individuals use a web page or email to swindle people for money or identifying information.
- 11-52-3 Intentional Access, Alteration, Damage, Or Destruction – As the name suggests, a hacker may access a computer or network to modify or erase files intentionally.
- 11-52-4.1 Computer Trespass – This is closely related to 11-52-3 above.
- 11-52-4.2 Cyberstalking And Cyberharassment Prohibited – An offender continuously contacts someone else with the intent to intimidate or threaten the receiver.
Other crimes are outlined in Chapter 11, Title 52 of Rhode Island laws.
If you’ve been arrested or charged with an Internet Crime, there is hope to defend yourself and win back your good name.
What Are the Consequences of Rhode Island Internet Crimes?
Internet Crimes are wobblers, which essentially means that they can be filed as a misdemeanor or felony. The court will examine several factors of the case, including the defendant’s criminal history, and the circumstances surrounding the case.
Misdemeanor Internet Crimes are usually penalized in Rhode Island by:
- Up to 1 year in prison, and/or
- Up to $500 in fines
Felony Internet Crimes are usually penalized in Rhode Island by:
- Up to 5 years in prison, and/or
- Up to $5,000 in fines
Contact an Aggressive Internet Crimes Defense Attorney in Rhode Island
Ask about our free and confidential consultations. Contact the Rhode Island Law Offices of John R. Grasso now.